Grafton Village Utilities
The Village of Grafton Utility Services;
The Grafton Water Department provides potable water service(s) to residential, commercial and industrial customers. All potable water is supplied delivered to Grafton by RLCWA. Grafton Water owns, maintains and operates;
- Water Pump Station (constructed 2018, in-service December 2018) to maintain and regulate system water pressures on demand, including any power-outage event as the Pump Station operation includes power-generation backup.
- Water storage system includes the North Tower (constructed in 1993) stores 300,000 gallons of potable water, and the Downtown District Tower (Constructed 2018, in-service December 2018) stores 200,000 of potable water.
- Water distribution system and provides fire water supply to all Village Fire Hydrants.
WASTE WATER TREATMENT & SEWER:
Grafton Sewer Department is a full service sewer utility that provides a sewage transmission conduit system delivering all residential and commercial raw sewage to the Grafton Waste Water Treatment Plant for processing. Grafton Sewer owns, maintains and operates;
- Waste Water Treatment Plant (WTTP) facility, processing up to 1.5-million gallons of raw sewage daily. The Grafton WTTP is designed for future expansion to treat 2.25-millions gallons of raw sewage daily when needed. The Plant is automated and operates 24/7. The facility is maintained in-house, improvements and update occur as needed and operation improvements are planed as technology advancements in treatment become available. The Grafton WWTP is scheduled for such an improvement in 2019 with an estimated project cost in excess of 1.3-million dollars.
- Grafton sanitary sewer system. All system conduit sewers including sanitary manholes, and 4-sewage lift stations.
- 5,000,000-gallon Equalization Basin (EQ Basin). The EQ basin pulls from the sanitary sewer system raw sewage in heavy rain fall events, stores the sewage for the duration of the weather event, then pumps the sewage back into the system for treatment. Dated sewer systems often lack separation of sanitary sewage and storm water. Although current regulations now require separation to prevent heavy inflow and infiltration (I & I) of stormwater into the sanitary system during weather events, many older residential properties still have cross-connections. When an I & I event happens, some homes experienced sanitary sewage backup due to system backup from flow that exceeded the capacity of the sewer conduit system. The EQ Basin was engineered and constructed in 2014 and in service since 2015, to pull system capacity overloaded into the basin. When automatically activated sewage is pumped (sucked) from the sanitary system into the EQ Basin, stored then treated in the days following the event. This has eliminated the sanitary sewer backups, system overloads and has prevented the WWTP from being stormwater compromised during a storm event.
PUBLIC POWER – GRAFTON PUBLIC POWER & LIGHT:
Grafton Power and Light is a Publicly-owned power utility. One of only 4 Public Power Communities in Lorain County, GPPL provides electric power to most residential and commercial customers within the Village of Grafton. GPPL is a member of American Municipal Power, a consortium of public power utilities that organize, develop strategic policies, address legislative impact on public power operations and costs, owns and operates power generation facilities, and purchases power from other electric power generators to assure each community with sustainable and affordable power supply. The Village of Grafton maintains a power purchase portfolio designed to supply Grafton’s electric power demand. GPPL department employs state certified electrical lineworkers, offers a state certified in-house 4-year lineman apprentice program, and all GPPL employees are represented by collective bargaining through the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 1377. GPPL owns, maintains and operates;
- 2 electric substations.
- Public Power electric system transmission grid, utility poles, and most power transformers.
- Roadway Street Lighting System (updated to energy efficient LED lighting 2015, 2016, and 2017).
- PROJECT BEACON Solar Development – December 2018, GPPL has entered into a 30-Year Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with EITRI FOUNDRY LLC for the construction of a 4WM Solar Power Generation facility within the Village of Grafton and the purchase of low-cost RENEWABLE ENERGY and a fixed price for the full term of the PPA. EITRI FOUNDRY LLC will maintain ownership and maintenance of the Solar Power Generation Farm, located on 36 acres of Village publicly owned land, leased to EITRI FOUNDRY LLC for the term of the PPA.
The FUTURE OF PUBLIC POWER is BRIGHT with GRAFTON’s PROJECT BEACON. 4MW SOLAR DEVELOPMENT underway:
975 Capel Rd, Grafton, OH 44044
Project Developer – EIRTI FOUNDRY https://www.eitrifoundry.com/
Generation Provider – SAFARI ENERGY a PPL Company https://www.safarienergy.com/
Power System Benefactor – The Village of Grafton Power & Light
The Village also contracts to have curbside rubbish and recycling pick-up. Fee for these services are billed to the consumer on a monthly basis and are due by the 25th each month. Late Fees may be assessed.
Utility bills can be paid either by mail or in person at Grafton Town Hall, 960 Main Street. Town Hall hours are 8:00 to 4:30 P.M. Monday through Friday. Utility bills can also be placed in an after hours drop box located at the front west corner of Town Hall.
NEW UTILITY ACCOUNT ACCESS PROGRAM
Grafton Village Utility Customers can now view utility customers can now view utility account information. Click on the link below for the Utility Connect Program to access your account information. Use that account number and billing address information from your billing address information from your utility bill to register your account.
Landlords will also be able to view the utility bills for their properties using a reference code. Landlords please contact the utility department at 440-926-1093 to obtain the necessary reference code.
Bills can also be paid by an automatic withdrawl from either your checking or savings account. Forms are available for this service. The payment will be deducted from your account on the due date of the utility bill. There is no charge for this service.
Online and Phone Payments now available with a credit card!
Online visit: https://www.officialpayments.com/index.jsp use jurisdiction code 4554.
By Phone: 1-800-2PAY-TAX use jurisdiction code 4554 (Additional provider service fees apply)
The village also offers the option of budget billing for qualified owners of all electric homes and special meters for outside water usage. For more information on these and other utility services, please contact the utility office.
If you have any questions, please contact the Utilities Office at 440-926-1093.
2016 RECYCLE FLYER click here
The Village does have a recycling program. Please use brown bags for yard waste disposal. The green recycle cart is to be used for other recyclable products such as tin or aluminum products, glass and plastic products and newspapers. Curbside pick-up of recycle carts is on Fridays with the regular rubbish service.
Exclusions: Laminated, foil-lined, wax-coated, soiled, or wet paper, food service paper (cups, plates, etc.), tissue paper & paper towels
For more information click on the links below.